View Single Post
Old 08-07-23, 12:32 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I read an article a while back detailing folks trying to sue bicycle corporations such as Trek and Specialized for carbon frames that broke and hurt or killed people. These corporations are set up in such a way that lawsuits slide off of them and into the sewer. They had a lawsuit stick finally in Australia and I know that despite the decades of trying they have had little success in suing any American bicycle sales outfit. On another note I am not a fan of bicycle disc brakes. They brake well with minimum hand pressure but they always eventually start dragging when not braking. I have often heard other bicyclists discs dragging as I rode near them. I have to adjust the two bicycles that have disc brakes in our household many more times than I ever have to look at the rim brake equipped bicycles. I believe that bicycle disc brakes are an immature technology that really shouldn't be on bicycles until they fix this problem.
I agree that they eventually drag, but it is more of a noisy annoyance than something that drains efficiency significantly.

I think it stems from the fact that the discs are so thin. I notice when commuting on my Aventon Level.2 that when I hit a sharp-edged bump, it starts. I apply the brakes and it stops.

What makes up for that is how well they work in the wet and mud, where rim brakes can be death traps.