View Single Post
Old 12-07-23, 07:58 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Nice work, looks great.

Swap that POS Crane out for any SunTour long cage and that problem will be solved, I know many bash the Rally's that came before and the Cranes seem to work well when new but with much wear at all they suck for me, always have.

You should be able to go to 32, 4, 6 by finding a SunTour FW to go with it that will help the other problem.

I swapped in a Campy NR that really helped with the not even I think 30t.

I put bar cons on the big silver one when I got it and that made the shifting worse but actually helped with the control.
Love your P60. It looks great. I'm afraid you're missing the point on the shifting, though, as well as being mistaken in your judgement of the Shimano "LeTour" derailleur, which was almost a long-cage Crane, the predecessor to Dura Ace. It is a very fine, long-wearing unit, and hardly the weak point in the shifting system. Believe me, I could get this bike to skip like a bobbysoxer from cog-to-cog if that was my goal, but no derailleur will provide modern shifting performance out of a wide-range Regina Oro freewheel with a matching Oro chain. Anyone who learned to ride in that era knew that overshifting and trimming, then responding to the rattle of being ever so slightly out was just part of riding with derailleurs. Modern riders don't even know enough to ease up on the pedals when shifting, and electronic shifting totally dumbs things down. (Actually, I think modern electronic shifting is just a transition to fully-automatic shifting, as has happened with automobiles.) I was Sheldonizing this type of freewheel way back in the '70s, having figured out the process on my own. I just don't want to grind and tweak this drivetrain.

To "enjoy" the idiosyncrasies of 1970s shifting is part of its charm and, with Regina Oro, you get to admire that beautiful matte-brass plating!