View Single Post
Old 01-09-24, 02:12 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 81 Posts
Been busy today, but have managed to get the Islandix up and running. Quite easy for a dinosaur to do.

First the Mitutoyo indicators. I guessed a 50mm extension would be required for the radial indicator to be within its mid-point of measurement (5-6mm of 12.7mm) on the rim wall when the radial indicator was in position on the rim. I didn’t take in the head measurement depth which is 5mm, so after fitting a 45mm extension it is spot on.

I found the spring force in the radial indicator was a little weak (maybe because it is second hand, a new internal spring is only £3-4, so an option to try at a later date) in the upside down position and asked Mitutoyo if they supplied an uprated spring. They only do such a spring for the 25mm travel indicators, so I got some 10mm heating plastic pipe and weak springs and played around. Must say, very happy with the result. Before occasionally it was weak to return to zero, but now very positive without any excess force to push down.

I had a wheel I built up previously, that was pretty good so popped it in. It is hard to trust a screen, but I have the feeling that when I do it will be very quick to dial it in. I will have a play tomorrow and report back, but I need to build a wheel from scratch to get the real feel for it. I have a set waiting to build but just waiting something in the post before I start.

Note lateral roller not in position

Lateral roller where it should be and radial in mid measuring movement

45+5mm

Screen shot

Here you can see what the numbers mean