View Single Post
Old 01-14-24, 11:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Not doubting you or the frame builder you consulted; as I said, I've just never heard of a frame's stiffness being affected by welding temperature in that way. I've just posted a question about it in the Framebuilders forum here.
It was not the actual temperature in degrees, but which tubes where how hot for how long and how things warped from that. The shell was warped so badly that I had to have the threads re-cut. Surly answer on why they would not warranty it was that is normal to have to have the threads re-cut. The mechanic that cut the threads had to take a break half way through because it needed so much muscle. He said he had never seen that much metal filings cut out of a bottom bracket before.

The frame builder I talked to did not see the frame, I was on a tour and had a conversation with her. I was waiting for a laundry machine at a campground when I met her. I mentioned that my Surly frame was defective, she asked what was wrong, I explained, and she asked more and more detailed questions. Then she explained how the heat settings caused it to warp that much. And that it likely was quite weak afterwards. That conversation was in 2016, two years after the frame went into the recycle bin.