Old 01-18-24, 05:12 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 981 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by chief9245
Here's a rundown of my setup

R/F fork - 5 liter Apidura - Stove and fuel, Benchmade knife attached to outside
L/F for k - 5 liter Apidura - First aid kit, Sea to Summit sleeping pad
Handlebar bag - 15 liter Apidura - Nemo tent, stakes, Sea to Summit sleeping bag, groundcloth
Handlebar bag addition 4(?) liters Apidura - camera, cables, battery packs
Chum buckets - 1 liter Apidura x 2 - everyday stuff, wallet, phone, glasses, snacks, etc.
Frame bag - 4.5 liter Apidura - tools, 9mm Ruger LC9s, tube, lubes, cables, brake pads, gloves
Rear bag - 20 liter Tailfin Aeropack - tent poles, odorless bags, xero shoes, lock, toiletries. Left space for food if needed
R/R Pannier - 22 liter Tailfin. Think I used the lightweight version - rain pants, cold weather gloves, beanie, winter toe caps, long sleeve merino wool shirt, Louis Garneau tights(non thermal), Search and State jacket
L/R Pannier - 22 liter Tailfin - 3 pair socks( all merino wool), 3 pair compression shorts, 2 short sleeve shirts, 1 button up shirt, 2 pair of shorts.

Like I said, was pretty minimal but worked for me. I did 39 years in the military so I have no idea what a creature comfort is. If I didn't "need" it, I didnt take it.
thanks for details. All completely reasonable list, and while you're a hardass ex military, you seemed to have mostly the same stuff most of us bike travel with. No warmer puffy jacket or fleece top or something like that?
I''ve used fork 5L bags as well, and putting heavyish stuff there, and also heavy stuff in a frame bag similar in size to yours was nice to keep too much weight off back of bike. Plus you've also put the tent etc on the front handlebar, which I find works quite well, even if my stuff is a bit heavier.
Don't really get the gun thing, but there you go.

Last summer I took my bike with the regular old four panniers and handlebar bag routine, but also took bikepacking stuff a bit and so did two different types of trips. I can certainly say that having less frontal area is so nice with headwinds, and I've noticed it for years now--so ya, I get the whole narrower bike thing, while still thinking that panniers are also handy and suitable also.
I guess I appreciate both methods.