Old 02-09-24, 03:54 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Your bike probably has a horizontal drop out rather than the current type which is called vertical dropout. You need an "internal cam" quick release because it can be tightened more securely. As others have said, Shimano makes them, but so do many others. You can find one at whatever pricepoint you want online. Also most likely at a local bike shop, and maybe even for free if they have a box of stuff that they aren't using.

For vertical dropouts you can get away with an "external cam" QR, which are generally lighter and work fine.

I thought external cam quick-releases on axles were recalled by at least one maker, I think because they are not idiot proof, you can get the cam over the high point instead of in the saddle-groove and it comes loose. Also, if plastic, that saddle breaks. But internal cams have better leverage ratio. Key is also to have some lube on the cam surface, I like to use "anti-seize", it prevents galling and makes closing easier than dry but still holds, but the very fine metal particles in it, are supposed to prevent changing the friction coefficient that much (unlike oil or plain grease, I don't use either on threads like many mechanics, I only use anti-seize).