View Single Post
Old 02-12-24, 10:46 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4544 Post(s)
Liked 5,052 Times in 3,120 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I don't mind anyone paying for and enjoying the newest tech. What I object to is the attitude that anyone is somehow ill equipped without it. My opinion is that "obsolete" will more likely apply to anything with E in it over time than anything mechanical simply because the E part will have stopped functioning long ago. I seriously doubt any of the electronic derailers will still be operational in 20 years, and my fear of them is that they won't last and function perfectly for even 5. If I could spend a couple thousand every couple years for replacement parts as easily as I can spend a couple hundred, I would own some of the newest tech. More power to you if you can.
Okay, so who exactly is saying that you are ill-equipped if you don’t have the latest tech?

I have loads of consumer electronics that are 5+ years old and still functioning perfectly well. Digital cameras for example. I can’t say I care about using a 20 year old derailleur. I’m more worried about my own functionality in that time scale. Life is too short to worry about the life of consumables. They appear to last long enough from what I’ve seen.