View Single Post
Old 02-12-24, 04:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,603 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
What I don't get is why people want to compare plane wings and fuselages with bike frames.

The materials and build process are are not identical, and the structures, forces, designs, and function are not at all similar

what should be also be noted is that there are lots of different building methods using carbon composites in order to max out material strengths. Pre Preg, heat bonding and curing, resin and vacuum bag, positive form, negative form etc
Originally Posted by base2
Because the requirements are broadly the same: An appropriate amount of strength in the appropriate direction at the minimum possible weight with an appropriate safety margin. This requires the engineer to fully understand the requirements, the material attributes and design accordingly. The only difference is scale and form factor of the craft type.

The idea is to dispute the material limitations and argue for engineering and design execution.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I can't speak for others, but I mentioned that the airline industry chooses carbon fiber where it makes sense, mainly for its superior fatigue resistance over aluminum alloy. Fatigue resistance of carbon composites was the subject at hand.
base2 Completely agree on the appropriate strength, direction, but the form factor between a large flat surface like a wing is completely different than that if a bike frame that it feels like comparison is difficult

terrymorse Point taken, and of course recent issues with doors and such, airplanes are get a lot a lot of inspections and takeoff and landing cycles (pressurization) are recorded