View Single Post
Old 02-27-24, 04:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5859 Post(s)
Liked 2,702 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
At an intersection it is safest to behave like a pedestrian and not try to mimic a motor vehicle......
I'm confused. You reference Forrester, then talk.about acting like a pedestrian. The dots don't connect. Am I missing something?

As an urban commuter, I've always found that acting as exactly what I am ------ a bicyclist is best all around.

I'm neither a pedestrian, nor a motorist and pretending otherwise doesn't work.

So, I ride as a vehicle, albeit s slow moving one, less visible than most of the vehicles around me. So, I ride smart, make sure I'm seen, telegraph moves, anticipate dangerous situations and mitigate the hazards as best I can.

If I had to choose my nearest cousin on the road, it would be a motorcyclist, since we share many of the risks.

So, for me, there are no rules, and everything is about situations.

BTW if I felt the need to ride like a pedestrian, I might as well be one, and take the bus.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: