View Single Post
Old 03-01-24, 03:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4476 Post(s)
Liked 4,948 Times in 3,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
We more experienced cyclists have had multiple blowouts on both clincher (hookless or otherwise) and tubulars. The difference is binary: on the clinchers the result is a desperate struggle to stay upright, even at a jogging pace. There is always a big risk of the tire coming loose and jamming up in something.

In contrast, a tubular blowout, even at high speed is far less dramatic, with a much higher chance of riding it out. The tires stays glued tight on the rim, and you actually have some cornering ability and traction.

Again, I think for high-performance riding, with tubeless and hookless, the industry is turning itself inside out with increasingly weird and elaborate solutions for a problem that tubulars never presented. Inserting slime and a pool noodle inside a tire that cannot be inflated to racing pressures is simply an indication of that desperation.

Yeah I know, yada yada yada, you're scared of getting a little glue on your hands, and you only ride your bike to the coffee shop, so you don't need lightweight wheels, you've never ridden (ever) on tubulars. I just hope that the industry and the pro teams allow their contenders to ride on the wheels that they want to ride on for performance and safety reasons, as opposed to a weird suboptimal wheel/tire combo (hookless/tubeless) that the manufacturers want to sell to weekend warriors.
I just think "weekend warrior" should be on the Dave Mayer bingo card
Likes For PeteHski: