View Single Post
Old 03-02-24, 01:12 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I always feel like I am missing something when I read comments from others about how difficult or dangerous Shimano shifting is.
I have yet to ever curse the cycling gods while trying to shift any of my many bikes over many miles and many years.
It's fascinating, really.

I understand having preferences for one style over another, but the reasons given against Shimano just seem...confusing.
I have ridden a bicycle equipped with Shimano integrated brake and shifter levers only once. It was the first time I rode a bike with an integrated brake and shifter. I had been a down tube shifter guy until 2016

I found myself applying the brakes when I was trying to shift. I suspect that if I had bought that bike I would have adjusted to them, but why should I?

And I can't imagine trying to ride with those controls wearing mittens. The lateral motion of the brake lever just annoyed me when I was riding bare handed.

I already had Shimano 7800 brakes on my old Peugeot, and I was expecting that I would like their new group set. I didn't. I couldn't seem to get the hang of it.

When I built up my Lynskey I put Campagnolo EPS on it and have been very happy with their gear. Never an issue with a brake lever that moves sideways. I found the controls intuitive from day one.