Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 981 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Here:

Peak Torque on Bike Marketing, Real World Aero Savings and Hookless Dangers (youtube.com)

Tubeless/hookless for performance road cycling is for marketing, manufacturer cost savings and creating proprietary tire/wheel combos that attempt to lock the consumer to the original sale vendor. Just because the marketing propaganda says they are on a certain trendy tire/wheel combo doesn't mean that they are actually being used in competition. Particularly during the critical climbing stages.

And it helps keep a few of the shrill industry influencers on this forum in beer

It also helps lock the consumer into a shop because your average weekend warrior used to be able to replace rim brake pads and shift housing and fix a flat. No longer. We have an increasing influx of folks coming into see us to: "borrow an air compressor".
Wait you run / work in a shop? I bet your customers love you… you think so highly of them.

With a hookless compatible tire I can seat just about anything with a crappy Blackburn track pump I bought in 2012.

Also, as a relatively mechanically inept idiot I was able to build up a fully internal bike, bleed the brakes, etc watching a few YouTube videos. It actually took longer to get the FD set up than to run brake hoses through the frame, stem and bars. It can’t be that bad for a trained mechanic.
Likes For phrantic09: