View Single Post
Old 03-03-24, 09:06 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 564 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Still, if you've been riding with prescription glasses or sunglasses, start thinking about how you'll protect your eyes from clouds of gnats, or other things in the air, while you're riding. I ended up getting two more pairs of glasses, one clear (with 1.5 readers) and one sunglasses (with 2.0 readers; hey, it's what was on sale).
I am hoping to not need a prescription to ride. The doc thinks this is likely especially if I go with the Vivity premium package. He is a mountain biker so at least he has some idea of what riding requires. I have a pair of expensive prescription sunglasses that I saved the original lenses from so for when I need dark glasses I can use them with the original lenses if I can get by with no prescription.

I will need some clear or photochromic lenses for night riding. I often start in the dark and ride into the daylight, so it is tricky to have the right lenses. Sometimes I just rely on my super bright lights and use the dark glasses even for the dark portion of the ride. That way I only take one set of glasses and can manage the blinding glare when the sun is low. Hopefully that glare will be greatly reduced after surgery.

I am not going to make any plans until I know for sure how the surgery works out. The need or lack of need for some correction would make a difference in my choices.

I am a little concerned about the week where I have one eye done and one not and am able to ride. Folks apparently take out one lense from their glasses for the eye that has had the surgery. I guess that means taking great care about riding when/where there are clouds of gnats and what not.

BTW, I am even more likely to feel okay about splurging on nice glasses if I don't have to worry about them no longer having the correct prescription next year. $200+ for a pair of glasses that might last the rest of my riding career is more palatable than the same price for ones that will be the wrong prescription next year.

Last edited by staehpj1; 03-03-24 at 09:11 AM.