View Single Post
Old 03-08-24, 11:50 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 448 Posts
I agree with the poster who said that a major puncture at 50 mph is going to be a big problem with hooked or hookless rims. I go that fast dozens of times each year. I'm not going to worry about it, but I do watch well ahead for possible road problems.

Whoever said that hookless rims make for limited tire choices is correct. The most popular tire widths have been increasing as disc brake frames have gradually replaced rim brake frames. Along with disc brakes has come wider tires. 25mm is now considered to be on the skinny side and very few are listed as compatible with hookless rims. 28mm tires have become the new minimum, like it or not. Hookless rims also work with much wider gravel tires, so they don't restrict gravel tire size. If you move up to the 25mm IW hookless rims that I use, most tire brands approve of 28mm and larger tires to be used on them, but ETRTO has recently decided that 29mm is the new minimum. In 2022, 28mm was OK. I've had no problems with 28mm and I'll at least use them until all of mine are worn out. I've got six 30mm Pirelli P-Zero Road TLR tires that are significantly less expensive than race version, waiting to be used.

Those complaining that they can't use hookless without exceeding 73 psi are probably restricted by a frame that can't handle a tire larger than a 28mm and/or you're not using the Zipp pressure calculator. The Silca pressure calculator does not consider internal rim width or hookless rims and limits the combined rider and bike weight to 200 pounds with 73 psi. The Zipp pressure calculator allows a total weight of up to 270 pounds with 28mm tires and 23mm IW hookless or 21mm or wider hooked tubeless rims, at higher pressures. I use the Zipp pressure calculator exclusively.