View Single Post
Old 03-14-24, 11:37 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
You are clearly a very capable and self-reliant individual so I think it’s entirely down to your own preferences and I kind of get the appeal of the sense of freedom. Personally I find them indispensable and it’s the one thing I never forget when I leave the house.

The work phone never comes anywhere with me at the weekend though.
I did spend a number of years where I was never more than arm's length from a phone. On call 24/7. Distinctly remember spending about 6 hours one Thanksgiving night putting out a customer's fire (that wasn't even because of our service) because that was the promise my company made when we signed a contract. Even now, I find it annoying to get messages from my current employer about when they need someone to come in and pick up a shift. These are mass text blasts and I often get them while I'm at work.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Just switch it off or into privacy mode while you ride. That one time you might just need it could be life saving or at the very least save you some unnecessary hassle.
I guess that's an idea.
Originally Posted by Mojo31
When I was a yute and cell phones were the stuff of science fiction, it would not be out of the question to just throw the broken down bike in the back of a stranger's pickup and get a ride home. No way would I do that today or recommend doing that to the yutes of today. A cell phone on a ride can save your butt.

I always carry one as a safety measure, but it is turned off or on silent so it doesn't interrupt the ride zen.
I kept waiting for Highway Patrol to pass me by. The highway is regularly patrolled. In fact, I had been on the highway for more than 30 miles before the puncture and been passed by HP no less than three times before the flat. Just crappy luck they were tied up, or just lucky that my phone-a-friend got to me first.

I have had a couple people offer, and I have accepted, help in the past. I'm mature enough that I'm less concerned about bad actors and this is still a fairly small town. We may not know everybody but I do see familiar faces around town quite often.