Old 03-31-24, 11:17 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Bike weights no longer listed? They used to be for the described component configuration and frame size (usually a 52 or 53cm). It was a major selling point. Weights should be listed, as apart from fit, as it is the single most important determinant of bike performance. Heavy is cheap and slow, light is expensive and fast.
Weight doesn't have nearly the impact that you seem to think.

Aero on the other hand. I have first world experience with an ultra aero dude on a TT bike fully optimized with the silly hat sitting in my draft and unable to pass me on my IGH touring bike with rack & fenders. On that 5 mile flat, straight, and windless path with good quality pavement I averaged 305 watts at ~23mph. He averaged 173 watts. He had every advantage and couldn't escape my rather large slipstream. I even pulled away a few times and let him catch up. I looked up his ride report on Strava. Turns out he was recovering from being sick & giving it his 100% At my power he would've cleaned my clock if he had it in him.

To be absolutely clear: He used ⅓ less power for the same speed.

Aero matters more.

Last edited by base2; 03-31-24 at 11:44 AM.