View Single Post
Old 04-04-24, 07:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4852 Post(s)
Liked 3,987 Times in 2,588 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Tubeless and clinchers are far from mutually exclusive.

Horror crash.
I'm not saying anything clincher vs tubeless re: handling. I've heard some clinchers have gone to stiffer casings to be tubleless ready which strikes me as a step backwards handling-wise if true but I haven't seen this first hand. I do know that I feel more secure on poor surfaces riding tubulars than the identical clincher. And better tubulars with thinner, more flexible casings handle better.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
That's a real stretch. Current premium tubeless tire sidewalls are as supple as regular clinchers, so that is not an issue, and I have never heard of a real grip difference between tubular and clincher tires. Now blaming the cash as well as the potential injury of these top athletes is over the top.
Blaming the cash? Huh? I'm just pointing out that this crash cost bike racing a lot. (If tubulars would have made a difference, the cost of this incident would cover an awful lot of expensive tires and mechanics gluing time.)

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Or it was the merciless performance of disc brakes. That said, I'll take discs over GP-4 hard-anodized rims. That slick brake track was awful in the rain. The late Jobst Brandt despised hard anodizing of rims for that and other reasons.
Disc brakes? GP-4 rims? This thread is about tires, specifically tubeless tires that may have caused or at least not prevented crashes in the pro ranks.