View Single Post
Old 04-20-24, 11:13 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 683 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
In the '80s, Serottas were more likely to have high quality paint than their Italian brethren. Some would say that American frame builders in this era were more exacting than the Europeans - which is not surprising considering the US craft beer industry and similar European pursuits Americans really get into. So the overall quality and American geometry would be reason to go Serotta over Italian.

I also LOVE the fastback seat cluster they use, but Basso and others had similar.
That is a good point. Serotta's were painted with Imron, which at the time was expensive, looked great and was durable. The build quality was excellent as well. The shame about Ben being a frame builder of only racing bikes is that racing bikes are tools. These bikes were more than just good geometry and excellent execution.

For me a Serotta, Cuevas, Richard Sachs or Chris Chance (I know there are others, this is my northeast sphere of knowledge) would be more desirable than an Italian racing bike. But that is what keeps this hobby interesting. The Italians have trophies, heritage and mystique.

I think it comes down to if you want to impress you friends get an Italian bike, if you are wanting a good race bike, get a Serotta. If you want a little more aesthetic appeal then get a Cuevas. If you want an investment get a Richard Sachs.

I bought a Serotta Club Special frame only for $355 in 1980 when working a co-op job in college. It was expensive for me, but a good value considering what was available and I knew someone that had a Serotta and was fitted by Ben prior to my purchase.
Likes For Velo Mule: