View Single Post
Old 05-01-24, 12:26 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JSNYC
Merlin, thanks for the recommendation as I'm working with lightbikes and they are spec'ing the following build:

"Estimated weight: 1596g+/-3%
Rims: AR45 disc HD Version, UD paintless, 24H/24H, with Drain Holes, With Access Holes, No decal
Hubs: DT Swiss 240, 12*100mm/12*142mm, Straight Pull, Center Lock, Shimano Road 11s freehub, EXP36
Spokes: Sapim
The rim is 28mm outer width/45mm depth, the recommended tire width is 23C-43C. 5 Years warranty. Regarding the weight of the bike, a standard 460g +50g extra carbon fiber layup will enhance each rim"

I triple checked rear wheel spacing on the T1 and it says 145. Haven't measured yet, but....presume the C'dale manual is accurate. With a DT 240 142 hub spacing, I would think that'd work (I'd have no problem with that small gap on my rim brake road bikes, for example) but I don't know the dynamics of a tandem with discs, meaning, flexing in the aluminum rear triangle by 1.5 mm on the non-drive side where disc is mounted, would that result in the pad contact being just slightly off camber? Or are disc brakes designed to allow for a little slop like that? Am new to them...

Am also inclined to request 28 spokes like yours as well (we're about 340 lbs total weight riders + bike, excluding weight saving things I'm doing to bike), but that's next up. More focused on the spacing topic first.

Thanks for any tips.
Light Bicycle rims are great. The "road" wheelset on my tandem, single, and wife's single all have LB rims.
That hub selection would be a poor fit for your tandem. Your frame is meant for 145mm quick release hubs. The DT 240 is a 142mm x 12mm thru axle hub. They're different standards. If you converted the 142x12 hub to quick release, it would end up being a 135mm wide hub (10mm narrower than you need) because of the difference in quick release and thru axle standards. There's a hack that'll let you use 148mm x 12mmm thru axle hubs on a 145mm quick release frame, but the disc mount on the hub ends up being 4mm off from standard. Your safest bet is to use a real tandem hub meant for 145mm quick release spacing. I'm a huge fan of White Industries XMRT hubs -- I have two wheelsets with them for my tandem.
For the rest of the wheelset, I'm wary of the low spoke count. 28 is likely fine; 32 is plenty. It's also not clear what spokes you'd be getting. Sapim makes weight weenie spokes, heavy duty spokes, and everything in between.