Old 04-15-06, 05:05 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
Are you saying that it will work with an 8-speed shifter on a 7-speed cassette/freewheel? This is the set up I have.
As I said in the #4 posting in this thread, it's the same setup I have, as well. And, it works just fine. There is nothing tricky about setting it up at all. Just set the "L" (low) limit properly for the 7spd cassette and it will prevent the 8spd barcon from getting into the "8" position, thereby rendering it a 7spd barcon. The spacing is not an issue. It works perfectly. Solid as a rock.

The only issue that you may have to be concerned about is what hub you have(cs1, you never said what hub you had). If you have a hub that was designed for 7spd cassettes you just put the cassette on, use the 8spd barcons and adjust the limit as I described. If you have a new hub that is designed for 8/9spd and you put a 7spd cassette on it you must install a 4.5mm spacer on the inside before the cassette. Then, again, set your limit correctly and use your 8spd barcons. These spacers can be obtained from Harris Cyclery for about $5. Enjoy!