Old 04-16-06, 09:12 AM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
Heh, thanks for spelling out the whole thing. Turns out that the only thing I did wrong was starting from the "2nd gear" position on the shifters (as I sort of suspected was the case). I thought it would be better to have the extra click on the high end, where the cable tension would release, rather than tighten if I tried to go too far. Well, I was wrong! Luckily, I was already doing everything else pretty much your way. On the stand, starting from the "1st gear" position, it appeared to work perfectly the very first time. When I actually take it for a ride tomorrow, I suspect that minimal adjustment will be needed, and very possibly zero. Sorry for being a bozo, I'm a bit new to installing index shifters!
You bring up a good point. When you use an 8spd barcon with a 7spd cassette you end up using the 2nd through 8th spd positions on the barcon, not the 1st through 7th. If you were to use it with rapid rise RD, then it would be the other way around.

I'm sure you will love your new shifters when you get them set up. They really are solid.

Happy Easter to all of you that are celebrating!

Cheers,
Bill