View Single Post
Old 05-20-06, 05:39 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
*Sigh*

I recently interviewed one of the mainstays on CSC. He was ready to quit the sport when he joined the team, and went from that to having his best season ever. The guys on the team love being there. They've been extremely successful on one of the smaller budgets in the Pro Tour. Riis funded a lot of the early years out of his pocket. And he said they were focusing on the Grand Tours and...

Who's in pink?

Guy's one of the best if not the best DS out there. And very, very bright. He wouldn't be there if he was a whiney baby like you all think. Read the subtext of what he's saying:

Re Classics: "You think we're having a bad year. We're not. We have a plan that you're not bright enough to understand. Last year we needed wins right away because we had sponsorship issues. Now we're going for the big enchilada "

Re Jan and the TT: "My guy is right there with Ulrich. I got his back when all you press folks want to put doubt in him about what this means for the tour".

If I'm Basso I go away smiling.

View this stuff with a broader context.
Great post. Spot on.

Bottom line...Riis put this team together started with his own money, sought out the sponsors, attracted a bike manufacturer that would build the bike Riis wanted, surrounded himself with people and riders that would jump when he said so...

People may not like it, but frankly, it works for him. It's not "60 minutes plus two laps" racing...Riis draws the attention and the controversy so his riders can focus on riding.

BTW...it's working.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 05-20-06 at 06:10 AM.