View Single Post
Old 06-17-06, 03:35 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Beware of Klingons on inline skates

Today as usual I went on the Saturday morning training ride/race in Miami. Group was 30+ guys (and girls). About a mile before the only climb on the ride, Alp De Rickenbacker Bridge, we overtake a guy on inline skates that obviously knows what he's doing. He keeps up with us easily with both arms behind his back (which shows he's only in cruise mode).

The pace picks up a little on the hill, but not much, pack is at 60-75%. At the crest, it speeds up, I'm completely spun out in a 52/13. About a mile past the bridge, we're going pretty fast, not strung out in a straight line, but moving since its a big group. I feel something funny and look at my rear wheel thinking I'
m flatting, and its the guy on inline skates, holding onto my seatpost! He lets go of me and goes from bike to bike hitching a ride. Every once in a while, he skates a few strokes.

This guy kept up with the pack on the uphill, on a pretty fast descent and on the flats, on skates. I was duly impressed. Don't know who this guy was, but we do have a few olympic speed skaters down here.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1