Old 06-29-06, 11:12 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
T-Mar, that's awesome if the the Giro frame is the same as the Professional. Not sure where I got the idea that it was Tretubi. They do seem to vary some from year to year. I read an article recently that claimed that the European manufacturers in the early '70's couldn't keep up with demand during the bike boom and component quality and availability became spotty. For example, based on your descriptions and every picture I've dung up on the web, the old Special had Campy Valentino derailleurs, steel rims and a three spoke steel cotter pin crank. Mine (circa 1974) had Simplex prestige derailleurs, alloy Fiamme yellow label clinchers and an unusual Ofmega cotter pin crank that used steel arms and a five arm spider but with alloy chainrings. And I bought it new so I know that was oem stuff. And an old post that I dug up from Tbonne (http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in...p/t-35061.html) describes his vintage Giro

Tbonne

I have a 1970 (or 1971) Bottechia Giro d'Talia (?). I believe the model below it was the Grand Prix or that Special you referred to. The Giro has tubular rims with double butted spokes, a leather Dolemi ? saddle, Campy Valentino Extra deraillers and Campy Nuovo Tipo hubs. The crank is an aluminum Nervar. Brakes are Universal centerpulls. The tips of the lugs are chromed. There is no hooks under the crossbar for a pump. I have had this bike since the summer of 1972, but it hasn't been ridden much in the last twenty years. Some friends of the time had the model below this. It had steel clinchers but as I recall, pretty much the same other features.

Note the mention of the Valentino Extra derailleurs! That’s what was clamped to the seat tube on my new frame too so you have to wonder if they just ran out of Nuovo Record or something and changed spec temporarily midstream. Here are some pics of the bike: http://www.geocities.com/kommisar89/...ottecchia.html