Old 07-08-06, 10:56 AM
pinnah

Bikes: 1979 Trek 510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I have a pair of the Dia-Compes that Rivendell sells matched to the non-aero Dia-Compe levers Riv also sells (the ones with a quick-release built into the levers). That set-up with the stock pads was not adequate, and scared the poop out of me at my first encounter with a bottom-of-the-hill stop sign. Switiching the Kool Stop pads made a huge difference, The set-up is now acceptable - not great, but acceptable. It still is not as confidence-inducing as my Shimano dual-pivots with aero levers. (The levers may be the difference at this point, but I have not had a chance to put that theory to the test.)
Do some searching around the web for discussions of canti-lever adjustments with respect to creating different amounts of mechanical advantage.. Canti fans will point out that you can adjust the mechanical advantage with different yolk lengths.

My understanding of the situation is this....
More mechanical advantage = crisper feel to the brakes but less force applied to the rims
Less mechanical advantage = mushier feel to the brakes but more force applied to the rims.

C-pulls offer significantly less mechanical advantage than dual pivots. That's neither good nor bad. Just dramatically different feeling. Long story short, many people find that c-pulls feel mushier but actually stop with more force.

Here's a test to do on the work stand.. Squeeze the brake lever and look at the brake shoes. You'll see that the c-pull visibly squash the pad. That mushyness that you feel is the really the power of the c-pull caliper. With side pull brakes, you get a more immediate and solid feedback in the lever when you begin to compress the lever. At least, that's what I notice.