View Single Post
Old 07-15-06, 09:24 PM
Raketmensch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wore panty hose to dinner tonight

What does this have to do with cycling, you might reasonably ask?

Three days ago, I experienced my first high-speed crash. No significant damage to the bike, and no broken bones. But I picked up a lot of road rash. Both elbows (I picked the gravel out with tweezers), and all across my back. Worst, though, was my left hip. Raw meat about six inches across.

Thursday, I just stayed home and worked over phone lines and the internet in my underwear. Friday I went to work, but the discomfort of a pair of jeans against the bandages was substantial. Interestingly enough, though, riding is fine. The lycra holds everything in place, and the pain is minimal. I did 17 miles the day after the crash, and 35 miles today. No problem.

So this evening the kids are out of the house, and Ms. Raket and I decide to go out for a nice dinner. This is, unfortunately, not the kind of restaurant you can go to in bike shorts, let alone your underwear. So, living with three women as I do, an idea hit me... panty hose! A lycra-like layer to go over the bandages, and to keep me comfy against the friction of the pants I unfortunately had to wear.

Well, my cycling brethren, I'm here to tell you... it worked! For those who must know the details, they were Silken Mist, size B, and they got me through the whole dinner in complete comfort. And, I'm pleased to say, Ms. Raket managed to sit through an entire romantic dinner with a man in panty hose without breaking into hysterics.

So... i f anybody ever tells you that cycling does not lead to completely new and unexpected life experiences, they are definitely wrong!