Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I wore panty hose to dinner tonight

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-06, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What does this have to do with cycling, you might reasonably ask?

Three days ago, I experienced my first high-speed crash. No significant damage to the bike, and no broken bones. But I picked up a lot of road rash. Both elbows (I picked the gravel out with tweezers), and all across my back. Worst, though, was my left hip. Raw meat about six inches across.

Thursday, I just stayed home and worked over phone lines and the internet in my underwear. Friday I went to work, but the discomfort of a pair of jeans against the bandages was substantial. Interestingly enough, though, riding is fine. The lycra holds everything in place, and the pain is minimal. I did 17 miles the day after the crash, and 35 miles today. No problem.

So this evening the kids are out of the house, and Ms. Raket and I decide to go out for a nice dinner. This is, unfortunately, not the kind of restaurant you can go to in bike shorts, let alone your underwear. So, living with three women as I do, an idea hit me... panty hose! A lycra-like layer to go over the bandages, and to keep me comfy against the friction of the pants I unfortunately had to wear.

Well, my cycling brethren, I'm here to tell you... it worked! For those who must know the details, they were Silken Mist, size B, and they got me through the whole dinner in complete comfort. And, I'm pleased to say, Ms. Raket managed to sit through an entire romantic dinner with a man in panty hose without breaking into hysterics.

So... i f anybody ever tells you that cycling does not lead to completely new and unexpected life experiences, they are definitely wrong!
Old 07-15-06, 09:28 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raketmensch
they were Silken Mist, size B
R-mensch,

You are a dude of the highest order and I'm glad it worked for ya. But this is just too much information for a guy like me.
Old 07-16-06, 06:59 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I'm trying real hard not to draw too clear of a mental picture of this.

However, congrats on finding some comfort.
Old 07-16-06, 08:17 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
and your hero is Joe Namath?
Old 07-16-06, 09:37 AM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote: "For those who must know the details, they were Silken Mist, size B, and they got me through the whole dinner in complete comfort."

please don't tell Webb Diego...
Old 07-16-06, 09:57 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
Quote: "For those who must know the details, they were Silken Mist, size B, and they got me through the whole dinner in complete comfort."

please don't tell Webb Diego...
+1

As my kids would say, that's just a little TMI!

PS: Glad you're feeling better...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-16-06, 10:03 AM
Perpetually lost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want you to know that I read this post last night before I went to bed. It was bad night. Very restless, very disturbing dreams. Yes, TMI. Thanks Raket. I shall never be able to walk past the pantyhose section of the stores without thinking of you.
Old 07-16-06, 10:04 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't wait until Webb Diego weighs in on this one...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-16-06, 10:13 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before this thread gets completely out of hand, I'd like to assure the American people that I'll soon be introducing a constitutional amendment to ban the wearing of pantihose by men. I will tell you what -- this governating is hard work!
Old 07-16-06, 11:55 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
It's been over 24 hours since the original post, and I would've written sooner, but I just pulled my head out of a vomit bucket. Silken Mist, Size B? Did you really have to give us the particulars? Couldn't you just post a picture of a Black Hole in outer space, because, Pal, that's the size of the hole in your soul. Where I come from, a Mensch is a fella who isn't such a bad egg. But son, you are a new breed. When I was in Koe-rea, we traded pantyhose to the local gals for "adult favors." But you, you use them to cover a few sctratches, scratches I'm guessing you never had in the first place. Welcome to the fairly club, my friend. You have lots of company in here.
Old 07-16-06, 02:32 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Old 07-16-06, 03:35 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Back in the '70s, before the advent of lycra tights, quite a few racers, on cold days, would wear pantyhose. Heck with shaved legs, who could tell?
That is until one of the guys crashed, got up, jumped back on the bike and won the race. He took a ribbing about the big runs in his pantyhose!
Old 07-16-06, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
When it comes to road rash, I'd wear almost anything to reduce the discomfort. Recently, a riding buddy did a face plant that took a fair amount of skin off his shoulder and elbow. After cleaning, his family doctor put some kind of superglue stuff on it. It formed a clear, flexible barrier that reduced the pain for him considerably. Then in four of five days, the stuff just peeled off and the rash was healing at a very fast rate. Anyone know what this stuff is?

Just one comment regarding the pantyhose. Anyone who wears lycra shorts and other cycling specific clothes, has a serious problem if he or she has issues with a guy wearing pantyhose. Most of us need to take a long hard look in the mirror when in full gear, before we starting busting on someone who wears pantyhose for any reason.
Old 07-16-06, 03:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boxers or briefs?

Just one comment regarding the pantyhose. Anyone who wears lycra shorts and other cycling specific clothes, has a serious problem if he or she has issues with a guy wearing pantyhose. Most of us need to take a long hard look in the mirror when in full gear, before we starting busting on someone who wears pantyhose for any reason.

I've always been attracted to those wearing panty hose - my question is did you wear boxers or briefs under them?
Old 07-16-06, 03:54 PM

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to see you're in touch with your feminine side.
Old 07-16-06, 04:53 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Let's give Raket a break. At least he wore pants for goodness sake. I was waiting to read something MUCH worse but fortunately he rallied and wore something to cover the darn things up.

Let's just hope he doesn't post in the winter where he has found some new thermal leggings to wear our riding and they are the same "Silky" thing. Hummmm....that might be a really bad sign!!
Old 07-16-06, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I was into panty hose was in the back seat of my '64 Plymouth Valiant, and they weren't on me!
Old 07-16-06, 10:59 PM
Perpetually lost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raket, for a really good time next time you go out, try wearing the pantyhose on your head and down over your face. THAT sure makes for an interesting evening.
Old 07-17-06, 06:55 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
Last time I was into panty hose was in the back seat of my '64 Plymouth Valiant, and they weren't on me!
Raket, for a really good time next time you go out, try wearing the pantyhose on your head and down over your face. THAT sure makes for an interesting evening.

Poor Raket is really getting abused!!! You have to admit we've got some pretty funny posters out there!! I'm just glad noone has asked what color they were........I'd be worried.