Old 09-07-06, 10:41 AM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Councillor wants to license couriers (and all other cyclists?)

City wants plates for couriers:
By SOPHIE NICHOLLS, 24 HOURS

Toronto's bicycle couriers could soon be decked out in more than just bike gear and a radio.

Licence plates are once again on the city's radar.

The controversial issue to license couriers was revisited Tuesday at City Hall and could come into effect once the City of Toronto Act sets in next year.

"At the moment we have the ability to license no couriers whatsoever," says Coun. Howard Moscoe, adding the power is in the province's hands.

Moscoe would like to see a detailed report prepared within a year, so he can propose licensing all couriers, including vehicles and bicycles.

"I think it should be all couriers ... you can't just do one," he says. "But the real problem primarily are the bicycle couriers who dash down main streets, bowling people over, cut in and out of traffic and generally create hazardous situations."

Glen Hofman, a bike courier for 14 years, disagrees, saying that those who ride radically are the simply "bad apples in the bunch".

"Those are new people that think there is a sub-cultural coolness to being a courier," he says, adding the proposal is just another cash grab for the city. "We're busting our balls to make minimum wage ... they are picking on the wrong people."

Jonathan St. Rose, a courier for 16 years, agrees, adding the city better become more bicycle friendly if more restrictions are imposed. He also demands that all cyclists be licensed.

"What's in it for me? What rights do I get?" he asks. "If they are going to pick on us, then they have to pick on everyone else."