Old 09-13-06, 03:20 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're 200lb, your pedal spindle is not where you want to be saving weight.
But I'm not 200 lbs. I'm 185 lbs, as I stated in Post #5.

I don't think anyone's trying to give you a sermon, so try not getting defensive... Don't get offended ...
No problem, neither defensive nor offended. I am just a tad irritated, when instead of information that might be useful, when I say I am 185 lbs. (at 6' 0") and am interested in a $198 pedal, I get responses clucking with disapproval over the audacity of the 200 lb. Clydesdale wanting to drop $450 on a pedal.

This issue comes up in every single thread about equipment purchase advice, so you really should've seen it coming.
Yeah, I've noticed. It is hard to discuss any weight weenie type issues at BF without people chiming in, with a knowing and disapproving air, about how just a few score grams isn't going to make any difference, and you ought to lose body weight, and it isn't worth the money for them, etc. All of which is beside the point.

It is manifest that a lighter bike is better, and that you cannot have a lighter bike without attention to detail of all the many dozens of parts with which the bike is composed. The lighter pieces might involve trade-offs, such as titanium being flexier than Cro-Moly. That is something else to consider, and all part of the fun of figuring this all out.

I ordered the $198 Carbon Ti pedals from Probikekit, I'll report back if they flex or bend when I go mashing up those steep hills.