Old 09-16-06, 07:51 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
Indeed. That's one reason I'm advocating the two-locks, two-posts technique that I included the photograph of in post #4. It pins the bike at two points (three, if you use the cable to cinch the frame to the parking meter up at top-tube level) so it can't be effectively used as a lever. It also should discourage thieves from even bothering to try, since it's obvious at a glance that your bike isn't going anywhere until two locks are defeated. If you're going to carry two locks, might as well make maximum use of them...

Use any method you want, it's up to each owner to assess the risks and pick their preferred technique. I'm not entrusting my own bike to a technique that I can defeat with my bare hands and a 6-inch diagonal cutter. All the thief would need is a rear wheel, tire and tube and he'd have a whole bike again.
Where did you get the idea from about locking to two separate posts?

There is a guy I know that commutes to work and uses four locks and an alarm lock. He locks to as many different things as possible, all different parts of a chain link fence gate etc.

He caught a guy stealing his front wheel once before he locked the wheels up,and wrestled it out of his hands and called the cops. The bike he now rides to work was left at his work, he called the police and they said "Advertise it in the paper for 30 days. If no one claims it, it's yours." So he did.
He's the kind of guy that competes in the special Olympics. He will never be able to get a license, so that bike is his life. He rides with us every week and hangs out at the LBS. Everyone is very proud of him for handling everything so well.
I'll try and have him get a photo of his bike locked up.