Old 09-30-06, 07:26 PM
neoz
Just Rockin'

Bikes: Trek 7000 xtracycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've spent far too long drooling over everyone else's bikes, so it is high time that I posted a shot of my late 80's or perhaps early 90's Bianchi MTB that I'm pretty much finished converting for full time commutage. It hung in my parent's garage for years, and three years ago I began fixing it up, with only utility and not aesthetics in mind, as you can tell from its generally mongrel look.

I recently took off my home-made light that I created after reading all of the interesting stuff in the Dork Light sticky. I lost the battery charger in a recent move, the whole thing weighed a ton, was never really waterproof (a big deal in coastal Florida) and I never managed to get a bulb that could focus all of that light well. I'm happy with a new 3000 candlepower Cateye clip on and off. As much as I like gizmos, there is alot to be said for simplicity.

I've really enjoyed getting to know the guys at the LBS and put on slick tires, cool fenders, a rack, grocery bag panniers (that I love) headlight and blinkie, lots of reflective tape, bell, reasonably good saddle, mirror (that I think I'll take off, fairly useless) and a new adjustable stem that I enjoyed tinkering with, as it required redirecting my front brake cable. That little thing on the top tube is a radio, because alot of my ride is wide open sidewalk which borders a shoulderless heavily travelled road which is totally unsuitable for any bikes slower than the fastest roadies- trust me on this one. Anyway the sidewalks are nearly empty, so I feel comfortable listening to NPR on that section of my morning commute, as I'm nowhere near any cars. When I'm on a street I, of course, do not have headphones in my ears.

I teach high school social studies and haven't begun commuting yet this year, as it is still too hot here in South Florida, and my school doesn't have showers available. However, I'm looking forward to begin commuting again perhaps this coming week, right after I replace my ancient freewheel and chain. I've almost convinced my wife to ride in with me, she also teaches at my school, which is really nice. To entice her, I've been making her beach cruiser more comfortable. I'd love to buy her a proper commuter, or an Electra Townie, but the budget won't allow that sort of thing now.

-----
Well, after writing all of that, I am unable to post my photos, because I can't get my camera to take pics smaller than 100k, which the website is telling me is all it allows. How do you guys do it? Until I figure it out, the above rambling description won't have accompanying photos, which seems pretty useless.