Old 10-16-06, 11:36 AM
dutret
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SamHouston
And you in turn miss one of many points in favour of Sheldons method, namely that defeating the wheel or the post it's locked to makes or leaves a bike unridable and/or reduces the thieves net gain significantly. This and other advantages to Sheldons method is why I have to insist you are wrong to state that the Sheldon method is wrong & that Sheldon is wrong. Like I said, it has it's strengthes & weaknesses & is only different, Not Wrong.

But that clearly doesn't deter theives since so many bikes get stolen in an unrideable condition. If you wanted it rideable you could easily steal a nearby unlocked wheel anyway. I never said the method was wrong. I said his assertions about how hard it was to defeat were wrong. A locking method can't be wrong. How much security it provides can vary. His method provides far less security the the u-lock is capable of providing.

Even this method is not wrong. It provides little security but it isn't wrong that doesn't make sense.

If I was to assert that it was hard to defeat because you would have to cut a thick cable that would be wrong.

LoFarkas:
I specifically said you deflate the tire first. Yes some locks are really crappy but there are decent locks available in the sub $30 range. Spending 3 times that on Fahgettaboudit if you are using sheldons method makes no difference in how long it takes to steal the bike.