Old 11-30-06, 07:44 PM
hooligan
Just give'er.

Bikes: 04 Scrap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The advice of the people who haven't had their fork break is good. However, I am in that small/medium fraction of people who had their FOX fork disappoint them. In maintainance, it has cost me 180 dollars plus in my <1 year of riding it. The shims broke and with the LBS service, that cost me 140 dollars w/ tax. Currently, the fork's steerer tube/crown interface is creaking, and I have been very disapointed in my FOX. Oh yeah, and the fork DID leak oil, so I had to replace the seals with enduro seals...

which suck/blow/anything else that describes their crappiness. They have high stiction and keep lube out. They basically just scrape everything off the stanchions, which is good for the internals, but reduces performance, which is what the fox is about. Also, because the seal is so tight on the stanchions, I've started to see the seals start wearing the colour off of the stanchions a teeny bit, and considering this fork does flex a bit, the pressure of the seals would be uneven on the front/back of stanchions, which lead to more colour wear there.

Save a couple hundred and buy a used PIKE or take someone else's reccomendation. If you're lucky, your FOX will be fine and leak oil. If you're not, expect to pay high maintainance prices.