FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bekologist
...compact geometry became popular as a way to fit more people on less bike sizes and was market driven, not performance driven IMO...
With all due respect, Bekologist, I must disagree with you (and the majority of other posts on this thread). Yes, there is a manufacturing advantage in having to stock fewer frame sizes, but that isn't the main reason for compact frame geometry (AKA sloping-top-tube bikes).

The sloped frame allows riders to be fit to the bike without needing to go to a custom frame. In my case, for example, my legs are short in relation to my torso & arms. If I get a conventional frame that will fit my leg length, then my fit is all messed up because I need such a ridiculously long stem. On the other hand, using compact frame geometry, I can get the top-tube length that I need for proper fit while still having safe stand-over height on the top tube.

If compact geometry wasn't available, I'd need to get a custom frame with a REALLY long top-tube in relation to the seat tube length. For the hundreds (thousands?) of "non-standard-shape" riders like me, compact geometry is the only practical solution to getting a production frame that really fits.

If you don't like the looks or the feel of compact geometry, fine. There's no issue with anyone's taste. Don't dismiss compact geometry as a marketing ploy or a fad of the year, though. Compact geometry is here to stay for good, practical reasons. HAPPY NEW YEAR!