Old 12-26-01, 09:26 AM
velocipedio
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was kid, I was really into cross country skiing. I mean REALLY into it -- pinetarred Jarvinen skis, three-point Rotefella bindings, the works -- and I remember that I had a Jackrabbit Johannsen wax set when I was about 10 or 12.

Jackrabbit was a Norwegian skiier who introduced cross country skiing to Canada. He was born in 1875 and moved to Canada after the second world war. He was a tireless promoter of the sport and an amazing athlete who skied almost right up to his death of 1985 [yes, he was 110]. I remember seeing him when he was a younger man of 100, though. He wasn't going to win any gold medals at that age, but he had such amazing grace and moved across the snow at such speed that I simply couldn't believe that he was as old as that. I thought he was some kind of mythic Norse creature. This thread makes me think of Jackrabbit. Was he elderly?

And then there's Giuseppe Marinoni, the president of Marinoni Bicycles. In the 1960s, he was one of the top racers in Quebec and, you know what? He's still racing and winning races at about 66. I don't think he could beat me in a sprint, but Marinoni always had the reputation of a rouleur and a climber and I understand he's still go the chops.

Elderly is a meaninless word in sport. If you want to be elderly, fine -- go right ahead, be elderly. If you don't want to be elderly, then don't worry about what other people say. Jackrabbit didn't, though I really don't remember anyone mentioning that he was elderly.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002