View Single Post
Old 04-02-07, 08:15 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Smith
Thanks. Agreed on the cables. At this point that's beyond my ability (I think?) and I'll be heading to the bike shop this weekend to get them shortened.
No! Undo the nuts on the brake calipers, to release the cables. Slide the cables out of the housings. Measure the cable housings to you know how much to remove. For preference, cut them down to size with a dremel or other grinder, but if neccesary, side cutters will do. If you use side cutters, grab a pair of needle-nose pliers, and make sure that the end where you cut is clear (the spiral metal may have bent across it, but can be bent back). Grease the cable, slide it back through the housing, refit at the brake end. Most things on a bike are easy, and this is one of the easiest. Try it. Worst case scenario, you have to pay the LBS $10 or so to fit a new set of cables. Much more likely, you learn a new skill, and save yourself money.