Thread: Why no treks?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-04, 09:19 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xta
That is ridiculous!

Haven't been to this forum for awhile but I saw the Trek post and it caught my eye. I have a Trek. I am a small chic and that is the only brand that fit me since they make smaller frames. I couldn't afford a women's bike since they jack the prices up. I've had mine 2 years and off road bike 2x per week on average. I am not doing extreme stuff but I can hold my own on the trails I know. Anyway, saying it is a poser bike seems juvenile. I am very happy with my bike. I spent $400 on my Trek 4500 and I'm sure I bike more than a lot of people who spend $2000 on their bikes. I like my beefy frame. I will agree that Kona's are sweet looking bikes but the store in town actually stopped selling them and switched to Giant (and that is what I got my husband). When I asked why they switched, they said they could sell the same bike/components for $100 less per bike by changing brands. Trek and Giant may not look as good as Kona's but some of you may just be prejudiced and being loyal to the name. That goes for Cannondale too. I would totally consider getting another Trek even if I went up to a more expensive bike in the future. I just think if none of you have had a Trek than you are talking smack. If you've had a couple Treks and they have fallen apart on you and ridden like junk, then I'd see where you were coming from. I certainly wouldn't insult any of the other brands that I have not owned.
I didn't say Trek was a posuer bike, but that posuers seem to gravatate to them, as if riding a Trek makes them a better rider. Trek is becoming the next Schwinn, the obvious American bicycle company. If you're ever around non-cyclists, they tend to refer to bikes as "treks" as if it were a common noun similar to xerox and kleenex.