Old 04-18-07, 12:04 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
i'm just curious , what compact gear ratio people here prefer, and what cogs to you use with it? and why?

i'm asking because i was thinking of trying out a compact, and i've read that some people prefer the 36 over the 34 because they claim the 34 is useless, and others claim the they spend most of the time in the 50 anyway. now, if you spend most of the time in the 50, i take it you only use the smaller gear for climbing. if that's the case, why not go with the 34, because i would think it would be better for climbing?

and that's only the crank gearing, i'm sure there is a big differences between 12-23 and 12-25 cogs too. also, with the 50 up front, would an 11 in the rear be useful? i personally wouldn't consider it with a standard double, because a 12 would be fine for me, but is it something to consider with a compact?

i'm about 190 pounds, and i think i climb pretty decent for a big guy with a standard double, but i'm also thinking that a compact may be a wise choice on my next bike. now keep in mind i live on LI, and there aren't that many steep climbs here, but i would still like to get over them easier so i can keep up with the better riders. i can keep up with the "AA" riders on the flats, but like most heavier riders, once we hit hills it's just too much for me to keep up with the lighter guys...
50/34 w/ 11-23 for flats and rolling hills...11/27 for long and hill-eeeeee rides

Why????