urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
1. For someone who weighs between 150 and 160 pounds, and for basically doing Class B club rides, would the wheels be strong enough if I considered 24 spokes in the front and 28 spokes in the back?
2. Is there a recommended lacing for 24 spokes in the front? I would assume if 2x is recommended for 28 spokes, then 2x would also be good for 24 spokes.
I am currently riding on 24 front and 28 rear and weigh 160. It's not a problem. My main concern is that I have enough spokes that I can ride home even if one snaps. 2x is ideal for the front as well, although I have recently come to the conclusion that radial is fine for most front wheel applications today (although this will only save you about 10 grams)

Psimet, of course there are exceptions for high flange hubs, deep dish rims, 650c size, etc. but in general 36-40 spokes like 4x, 32 spokes like 3x, 24-28 like 2x, and I don't like to play with any less than 24 spokes. I posted a pic somewhere around here of I think a 72 spoke 8x wheel from one of those high wheel bikes in a cowboy museum. I'll see if I can find it.

edit: found it. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hlight=8+cross

Last edited by urbanknight; 05-02-07 at 09:31 AM.