View Single Post
Old 09-01-07, 10:13 AM
redbarnlane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cranks say "Miyata" on the outside, but do say "SR" on the inside. Don't know anything about non common bolt holes. I take it from what you say that I could use my current friction shifters (on the stem) with a new cassete/chainrings.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Originally Posted by SoreFeet
Upgrading shifters is probbaly not a good investment. You could enjoy modern shifters but if you are touring bar end shifters are the only way to go. Those little ratchets inside the barend shifter last a long time and don't mind being abused. The best upgrade would be to get a cassette based wheelset. You could spend a lot on new components without too much performance gain.

Upgrading the brakes to something with stronger stopping power would be a sound choice. The most economical high quality brakes on the market are tektro. I think they are just as good as Ultegra but cost a helluva lot less. The brake hoods are very comfortable on them also.

I am just guessing but I think between 400-700$ would be a good estimate. I would recommend looking at craigslist for used deals on modern components. The older Shimano 600 Ultegra stuff was very good. The latest ultegra cranks are also very nice and light. I would upgrade the wheels and brakes. Do you have the older SR cranks with non common bolt circle diamter? If your current cranks are a standard road diamter I would buy new chainrings/chain and upgrade the wheels to a cassette based hub.