View Single Post
Old 09-24-07, 01:25 PM
littlewaywelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akatsuki
That law is designed to protect pedestrians walking across the street. Not when pedestrians or joggers are running in traffic lanes.
You don't know the origins of the law...that's your opinion. The law makes no difference between runners & pedestrians. They are the same thing.

Imagine getting on a street and running down the middle with cars piling up behind you. You might have the legal right to do so in America (where we assume pedestrians are stupid and irresponsible). Why should it be any different for a designated bike lane? I run a lot, but I generally run as far to the side as possible and defer to vehicles when I am in their lanes.
I've never seen a runner running down the middle of the street with traffic coming at him or behind him. We're not stupid. We understand that in order to not shorten our lives we need to stay out of the way of cars. I generally yeild to bikes to, just because it's easier and I'd prefer not to rely on whether someone else understands right of way.

Now if I am running on the sidewalk and a bike comes by, I don't move at all and why should I?
Bikes are generally not supposed to be on sidewalks and as a pedestrian on a sidewalk you have the right of way.

Last edited by littlewaywelt; 09-24-07 at 01:31 PM.