Old 10-06-07, 11:38 PM
efficiency
Does Not Exist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kinder, Gentler, SD Urban Canyon MTB Ride (Sat. Nov. 3rd?)

So, I poked around a bit and I think it's doable for a friendly open to all MTB ride in San Clemente/Rose Canyons in San Diego.

Name of Ride: Kinder, Gentler, SD Urban Canyon MTB Ride
Date: 11/3/2007, hopefully
Start location: Nobel Athletic Area, http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...=1&sa=N&tab=wl
Meet time: 8:30
Roll time: 9:00
Distance: Mountain Bike Bill says 16 miles
Elevation Gain: Some
Difficulty Level: No Drop . . . and I mean it.
Routeslip/Ride Description: Mountain Bike Bill has a good description here:
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/SanClementeCanyon.htm
Note that he says a beginner will find it somewhat challenging. It's true. I'm a beginner, I walk some of it. There's no shame in walking any section you don't feel comfortable trying. At least consider trying it though

New start point, new route, old canyon. We'll drop into the canyon near the 805 and ride west parallel to tracks. Some short singletrack sections behind the apartment buildings. Cross tracks at some point and take the singletrack around the mesa, into the drainage culvert, then the singletrack crossing the dry streambed. We can then take the trail all the way to the Clairemont area, climbing out of the canyon near Diane Ave, then optionally head to another entrance to the canyon a couple of blocks over that drops in with a steeper descent before heading back the way we came. We can finish with a bonus singletrack section of questionable legality near the start of the ride.

Even though a beginner may find it somewhat challenging, I'd encourage any beginners to come. I think this trail system is good to get a taste of a bit more technical MTB without being overwhelming. I first rode this trail system on a fully rigid hybrid, and I didn't crash or anything. It also has pretty good variety of singletrack, doubletrack/fireroad, baby heads, gravel roads, and climbing/descending.

Some recommendations/warnings:
1)Poison Oak is known to live here. Don't go off trail exploring. I'll have a bottle of Ivy Block.
2)Cellphone is a good idea. The canyons are right in the middle of the city, so you'll probably get reception (you're also never far from "civilization").
3)Walk sections you don't feel comfortable with.
4)It is likely you will have to ride through a few inches of standing water. Take your bottle out of the cage or use a camelbak so that it doesn't get sprayed with the nasty water.
5)Please don't get hit by a train. Take care when near train tracks.

Final notes:
If you went on the Kinder, Gentler, SD Urban ride, remember what I mean by "Kinder, Gentler."

Rain cancels. Drizzle is not rain.

In:
efficiency + 5
DaveSANYYZ

chick-an:
merider1

Last edited by efficiency; 11-02-07 at 12:11 AM.