Old 10-30-07, 08:43 PM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon Wilier - Replacing Am. Class. Victory wheels?

Wilier Thor carbon 2006, DA equipped, only moderately light (not a particular important thing for me). I'm 160 lbs, ride moderately hard, like to corner etc. Like a good road feel.

So. I get the impression these American Classic Victory wheels aren't too hot. My wife's set had a rear hub loosen up, so I took it apart. Was not impressed. With the carbon frame (my first), I'm not really sure how much I'm feeling from the wheels and how much is everything else. But I get the impression the rest of the bike outclasses the wheels.

Am I correct?

If so, I don't have to get some prefab set. I can build wheels up just fine. I'm tempted to get XXXX?? suggestions? hubs and wire them up (suggestions on lacing appropriate?) to (well, I know open pros, what about the other choices?) and have some nice light lively road wheels. I don't know all the new stuff. That's the problem.

Back in the day, I'd be tending to go DA 32 h 3x to Open Pro. But those are sort of heavy duty classics wheels by today's standards. I don't know how light to go for relatively limited $$$. Today's wheels use so few spokes etc. I don't want trouble, but I'm not a hard rider. Firm, but not hard.

I don't need new, either, so something appropriate to look at on eBay would be worth knowing about. There are reviews and this and that available to evaluate, but most aren't from folks with much context. What do old school riders with lots of miles in their legs who like a sensitive ride with lots of feel like riding? Wheels that will let this fine Italian frame work extra nice in the turns, climb well, and soak up our rough road rumble?

Or maybe the Victorys are just fine. Haven't given any trouble yet and stay true. Reasonably light, I suppose.

Last edited by mandovoodoo; 10-30-07 at 09:59 PM.