jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wobblyoldgeezer
I've just been offered a new job. Still Middle East, twice the money. I don't get any retirement plan as a Brit ex-pat, so double the money means half the time before I can exit to do what I really want, which is move to Santa Cruz CA. and ride among the Coastal mountains. So far, so simple.

But my work team here likes me, I feel a loyalty to them, and I really really like the cycling friends here. And change is unsettling, and I really have a good gig here, professionally and socially. I don't have to prove anything any more as a newcomer.

Hmmm. Any career councillors here?
As a headhunter this is a situation that I've encountered too many times...the one thing that I've learned is that money is the wrong reason to run to a new job..a situation mitigated in your case by the ulterior motive, relocation to Santa Cruz.

So, I've always advised my candidates to draw a line down the page and list the pros and cons of each option, and to follow your heart. It's critical, however, to allow your family to participate in making the decision and to listen to them and take their feelings into consideration.

Like my mom always says,"you'll never know the meaning of true misery until you have a job you hate"