View Single Post
Old 12-21-07, 04:15 PM
Digikid
Veloteqs ARE E-BIKES!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I just signed up for the forum. I have been riding a Veloteq bike since last December, it was actually one of the first 3 bikes in Ontario last year. I would just like to reply to some of the comments made so far regarding scooter style e-bikes. In Ontario the MTO pilot program use's the Federal definition to define e-bike. I attached the definition.

Some people veiw the scooter style as a threat to the traditional image of a bike, do some searches and you find some pretty interesting bike designs. The key to the definition is limited power, limited Speed, not what it looks like. Weight has been sited as a safty factor. Do the calculations. A 170 lbs rider pedaling a 30lbs non assist bike at 40km or a 165lbs, soft panaled scooter with a 170 lbs rider traveling at 32km. I suspect that the kinetic energy created at the high velocity of the lighter bike will be very close if not higher then the heavier soft paneled scooter.

If you look at the bigger picture, this is not about just traditionl style bikes. The market acceptance and need for the scooter style ebike is huge. The Bike lanes and paths that are being developed with tax payers money need to be used and have a right to be used by all taxpayers, not just traditional looking bikes. This will allow better development of bike lanes and benifit everyone.

On quality

There are quite a few choices of scooter style bikes available in Ontario and yes there are some very cheap models. Shop around, test ride the bikes, visit the dealers service area. If they don't have one find out about your options. I have seen 1st year bikes with over 2000KM in almost showroom condition. I have also seen bikes with under 200km look like there 3 years old and have been stored outside for 3 years. If you ride a scooter style bike like a pedal powered Mn't bike it won't hold up very well. Treat it well and do some bascic maintenace and you should have very few problems.

Pete
Well said and 100% agree with you. Also your name sounds familier.....do you have a website for Ebikes? Golectric.com????