Old 02-20-08, 06:53 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
What I get from your post is if these lanes were in California, the situation might be different when drivers are turning, based on a picture. Hmmmmm...

Those barriers do not prevent a driver from making a right turn, and do not require a driver to move into the bike lane to make the turn, even if they were in California.
My point is that California law requires motorists to drive in bike lanes as they approach a place where they are turning right, and the barriers pictured, which appear to have been erected at spots where drivers turn right, if erected in California, would prevent right turning motorists from entering the bike lane, which they are legally required to do.

is that the situation we're discussing here? I thought we were talking about drivers drivers swerving into the bike lane, or drivers driving along in the bike lane, not drivers making a turn at an intersection.
Pictures 2 and 4 in post #38 show the barriers placed precisely to keep right turning motorists from entering the bike lane.

Do drivers do this by choice, or are they even aware that they shouldn't use the lane? Why is it I see drivers move out of their designated lane of travel on a regular basis? Are they that inattentive? I think they are. I know I can stay in my lane while I drive and so can David. Maybe drivers just are so inattentive the don't care if they drift. Maybe they are so adverse to slowing down in a turn, they can't control their vehicles.
There are natural lines of travel on roads. Engineers try to paint stripes consistent with those natural lines. Each of us can probably identify a place where drivers regularly drive contrary to the placement of painted guidance on the roadway - those are all examples where the painted guidance is contrary to the natural lines of travel. We're just more sensitive to these situations when the painted guidance that is contrary to natural lines of travel happens to be a bike lane stripe.