Old 02-23-08, 05:55 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
Just jumping in to report that I had four automobiles turn left in front of me today on my 50 miler (I was in a bike lane on Riverside Drive in Sherman Oaks, CA). All four looked right at me as they were turning, didn't brake in the least, and then just turned their heads as they say me brake hard to avoid them. I'd like to say that I didn't scream out a few choice words, but I'd had it today. As it is, cars park in the bike lane so that you have to ride over the white line into traffic a bit, in case a car door is opened.

Sometimes, it boils my blood and other times it just depresses me - mostly, I try to avoid heavily trafficked roads. You just have to ride defensively and stay 100% alert.
Four left crosses on one ride???!!! If I had four left crosses in less than two years I'd wonder what I was doing wrong.

Looking at you does not mean noticing you.

You need to be grabbing their attention, and you obviously are not.
Are you riding in the bike lane, near the curb, as you approach and enter the intersection, or are you further left towards the center of the road, about where a motorcyclist would be riding? The latter is what I do to almost eliminate (can't totally eliminate it - but 4 per ride is way, way more than you should be getting) left crosses (as well as right hooks and right crosses), and highly recommend.