Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finding as Wide a Tire as Possible for Forks

Originally Posted by Motorad
If the Michelin Pro2 Race 25mm is a true 25mm width, then I would probably not be able to fit a 28mm road tire between the forks. I haven't ridden on the roadie yet, but I'm curious on how low I can ride the tire pressure, to have as much comfort as possible on 25mm tires. My current weight is about 163 lbs.
When I did research on 25mm tires last year, for club rides, I wound up choosing the Michelin Pro2 Race 25mm tires, based on recommendations made on bikeforum. I already know I'll like them a lot.

Down the road, I may want to try the roadie as a touring bike. Just eyeballing the 25mm Pro2 tires inside the rims, I can see it would be an adventure to get upwards of a 27mm tire in the forks.

A couple of days ago, I ordered a Sears Special: an 8-buck caliper for taking measurements:
< http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...eyword=caliper >.

At a minimum, I can do more than just eyeball the actual width of the 25mm Pro2's, while they're on my bike. I was thinking I could also take measurements of tires ... which are sold as 27mm or 28mm width ... but are actually around 26mm or 27mm width. The drawback is finding those tires while they are under pressure and mounted on bikes.

A good thing I like about Rivendell is that a lot of tires they sell, they show a picture of their caliper-measured width ... and their caliper probably costs more than 8-bucks.

Anyway, here are two questions to begin the OP:
* Is there a website that lists tires not only by their advertised widths, but their measured widths?

* What risks are there to riding a tire that is very snug within the forks, say only 0.25 or 0.5 inch of clearance on either side of the tire ... and do you ride with tires that are this snug within the forks?