Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finding as Wide a Tire as Possible for Forks

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 10:44 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorad
If the Michelin Pro2 Race 25mm is a true 25mm width, then I would probably not be able to fit a 28mm road tire between the forks. I haven't ridden on the roadie yet, but I'm curious on how low I can ride the tire pressure, to have as much comfort as possible on 25mm tires. My current weight is about 163 lbs.
When I did research on 25mm tires last year, for club rides, I wound up choosing the Michelin Pro2 Race 25mm tires, based on recommendations made on bikeforum. I already know I'll like them a lot.

Down the road, I may want to try the roadie as a touring bike. Just eyeballing the 25mm Pro2 tires inside the rims, I can see it would be an adventure to get upwards of a 27mm tire in the forks.

A couple of days ago, I ordered a Sears Special: an 8-buck caliper for taking measurements:
< https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...eyword=caliper >.

At a minimum, I can do more than just eyeball the actual width of the 25mm Pro2's, while they're on my bike. I was thinking I could also take measurements of tires ... which are sold as 27mm or 28mm width ... but are actually around 26mm or 27mm width. The drawback is finding those tires while they are under pressure and mounted on bikes.

A good thing I like about Rivendell is that a lot of tires they sell, they show a picture of their caliper-measured width ... and their caliper probably costs more than 8-bucks.

Anyway, here are two questions to begin the OP:
* Is there a website that lists tires not only by their advertised widths, but their measured widths?

* What risks are there to riding a tire that is very snug within the forks, say only 0.25 or 0.5 inch of clearance on either side of the tire ... and do you ride with tires that are this snug within the forks?
Old 03-11-08, 10:49 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck on finding the actual widths. I've searched for months on that and only find what people have posted. No company data.

In the end you may have to take your best guesses, from what data you gather, and then buy locally, where you have the option of inspecting the result and returning the tires.

One of the reasons why I went with the bike that I recently purchased, was that it can fit tires of up to 38mm. Lots of future options remain viable. I have a peeve with bikes that can't accept a true 28mm.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-11-08, 11:02 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
[QUOTE=Motorad;6321679Anyway, here are two questions to begin the OP:
* Is there a website that lists tires not only by their advertised widths, but their measured widths?

* What risks are there to riding a tire that is very snug within the forks, say only 0.25 or 0.5 inch of clearance on either side of the tire ... and do you ride with tires that are this snug within the forks?[/QUOTE]

1. I've got identical 28mm tires (Continental Gatorskins) mounted on two different bikes. On my tandem, with Velocity Dyad rims, they measure 28mm when inflated. On another road bike, with Velocity AeroHead rims, they measure 26.5mm. 1 1/2 millimeters isn't much but it does show that rim width matters.

2. I would guess that 1/4 inch would be plenty of tire clearance. The problem is making sure you have 1/4 inch clearance everywhere. Most of the time I encounter problems squeezing a tire past the brakes before I have frame clearance problems. Another point of interference is the front derailleur when it's in an extreme gear position.
Old 03-11-08, 11:36 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Tom, and good point RG about rim being a big factor.

The roadie rims are DT Swiss, 700C, 28 spokes, and I'm pretty sure they are the RR 1.1 model.
< https://www.youngwheels.com/prices_rims-spokes.html >

How would this rim impact the fork-clearance of 27mm & 28mm tires? For example, what would be the expected width of the 27mm Rolly Poly or 27mm Ruffy Tuffy ... on the RR 1.1 rims?
Old 03-11-08, 11:48 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you ask anyone at Young Wheels? As they sell both the rims and the tires, they might know what the combination measures out to.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-11-08, 03:14 PM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Also keep in mind that many tires get slightly larger as they wear. The one place I recommend not having super tight clearance is between the tire and the fender.
Old 03-11-08, 06:52 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MKahrl, what causes tires to get slightly larger as they wear? Is it the width that gets wider ... or is it the diameter that gets bigger?

I have new fenders on my Trek, and there's not much clearance between the (32mm) tire and the fender.
Old 03-12-08, 05:16 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Max tire size may also be a function of how your ride. If you generate significant lateral deflections of the wheel in corners you may find that you get frame rubs that others don't. Examine the inside of the front fork and the inside of the seat/chain stays, if you see rubs (even though the static position has gaps), then the tire is too wide.

Terrain also makes a difference. If you ride where mud can accumulate on your tires you may need to be careful about tire widths. Cyclocross bikes are designed around extra wide spacing to accomodate mud. This is one of the reasons that they make good frame choices for people who want to ride extra wide tires.