Thread: Food On Tour
View Single Post
Old 05-07-08, 03:34 PM
SandLizrd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always found that the adversity is the part I remember best about my voyages, so I make sure that meal times are very adverse! Here's some advice for memorable moments.

- be sure your stove is an extra-tall model. More likely you'll remember having to pick it up off the ground when it topples. The burns might stick around for awhile too, just so you don't forget. Stove must be of inferior model, because it's more adventerous when it doesn't light, or spits fuel all over, or does other fun things. Loose, leaky propane fittings are also popular.

- get a cook kit that requires extra pliers-type devices, or reassembly of handles, or other complications before you cook. The pliers-type kits are especially fun - when you drop your food a few times you really have fun telling the stories! Dentists are especially good listeners - chomping those rocks and gravel give you an excuse to go visit.

- use paper plates. They like to fold up on you and dump your food on the ground. Have you heard that dirt is nutritious? Neither did I, I'm just hoping you did.

- get as complicated as possible! You'll need enough ingredients to fill a chef's larder. You'll need to cut and prepare for hours, preferably on a dirty picnic table. Mixing in dill seeds and cloves is bound to increase the adventure. You might be so hungry you'll just wolf it down when it's ready, and it's likely to taste like dirt anyway (see points one, two and three) but think of the stories.

- be sure it's very aromatic. Get that aroma on the table, on your clothes, on the tent, everywhere. It's nice to enjoy nature, and having bears around camp is the best way. Small creatures that eat holes in your panniers to get at that nice aroma are fun too!

- Store food in your tent, so you can get even closer to nature. You see, when cooking is done correctly, wolves can sit in the distance and listen to the howls coming from camp. That's when they know it's time to move in! Luckily you've kept all the food close by so they don't get it and you can enjoy their company.

This is only the beginning of the adversity one can obtain while cooking on tour, but if you're determined and you practice, you can get even better than this! "Rotten food made me puke all night" is a common refrain, along with "everything tasted like chamois butter / chainlube / bear repellant". But this only scratches the surface. Good luck and have fun!